Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -Harold Whitman

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

{31 DSP - Day 4.2 - Organizing Books)

One of the things I needed to do today to put the guest room back together was to get the books back in the bookcase.  I've never organized my books in any kind of order.  I kind of know what is there and can usually find what I'm looking for at a glance.  A month or so ago I saw some bookcases on pinterest that were organized by color....


I was unable to find the original source.

I was unable to find the original source.

via


SWOON!


So I decided to arrange my books the same way.  I figured if I hated it I can always change it.  :)


LOVE IT!
LOVE IT!
LOVE IT!


I look at it and I immediately smile and feel calmer.  I actually am able to find books faster this way!  Is that totally crazy?  My brain must just work in color.  I am so glad that I took the leap and did it! 

I'm adding this to my 31 DSP because...well let's face it...those books could have sat on the floor for weeks!  

10/5/2011 Update:  I think Nester and I were separated at birth...or that she is the big sister I never had (although she could very well be younger than me).  She always talks about making your home what YOU want it to be and not to be afraid to take risks doing things other people say you 'can't do' in your home (hello painted wood, stone, nail holes!).  She has helped me so much to over come the design limitations that others (but mostly myself) put on me.

Today she has a post where she talks again about doing things in our home to make US happy, regardless if anyone else likes them.  That hit me because when I was looking through someone's ELSES pinterest boards I came across one of my beloved 'books organized by color' pictures.  This is a board where she posts things she doesn't like.  You know what?  When I first saw her pin my first thought was "Well I shouldn't do that I guess."  Then I thought of Nester and smacked myself.  This woman (pinner) doesn't even know me, she will NEVER be at my house, and even if she did why should I care?  I love it (and Ben doesn't care) and that is all that matters.  So DO things in your home to make YOU happy!

click this button to find my other 31 Days posts

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! What kind of world would this be if we all liked the same things!?! Glad Nester helped you overcome your first inclination. The books look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heather! It feels good to get stuff done and make it pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete